Club Meeting Minutes – May 18, 2019
Call to order was made by President Jim Bailey with 32 members and guests in attendance for the meeting and 47 for the Boat Show & Hotdog lunch
One of the guests led The Pledge
Welcome New Members & Guests:
Jim welcomed 4 guests and new members
Terry Guthrie held the winning ticket and collected $37.
President’s report and announcements – Jim Bailey:
- The minutes of last month’s Club meeting were approved.
- Jim explained the postponement of the Fishing Tournament.
- Jim discussed
proper fishing etiquette & conduct, particularly around our community
- Fish should be cleaned at home and waste properly disposed of (not dumped in the lake or left on the dock).
- Club members need to get involved reporting instances of improper fishing conduct.
- Jim reviewed the
current list of proposed Community Projects:
- Installation of railings along the Ticoa Park dock.
- New Atagahi fishing dock.
- Signage (George Hewertson)
- Atagahi Park landscaping (Nick R)
Programs & Events – Carol Marines:
- Today’s program includes a boat show followed by a hot dog lunch.
- The June program, Thursday June 20, will host Chef John and be held in the Blue Ridge Lounge.
- The July program, Thursday July 18, will host Sheriff Mahoney in the Cherokee Room.
- For the August program, we are planning to host GM Jim Whitmore.
Fish Fry Update – Randy Bunn:
- This year’s Fry is scheduled for Friday, July 19th, at Atagahi Park starting at 4 pm.
- John Gannon is collecting wine for the Wine Bonanza. You can contact John at 603-490-7976, and his email is email@example.com.
- John Ciriello is collecting crafts from residents for the raffles and silent auction.
- And Chris Wunder will be producing a calendar again this year. If you have any Connestee photos suitable for the calendar, please contact Chris.
Sunshine Report – Jim Bailey (for Marian Wolf):
Jim reported on the cards sent out this month on behalf of the Club.
Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:
- To date we have 187 member households that have joined/renewed Club memberships (including lifetime members). This is consistent with the memberships at this time last year.
- We currently have a healthy stock of canoes and jon boats in our RV1 storage rack, and you can view the listing on our website. Call Al Byrne if interested. Thank you to Joe McMurray and Ken Stark for their efforts in cleaning, picking up, and delivering our boats.
Treasurer’s report – Jim Ungaro:
Jim reported that we are on budget for the year, with approx. $15,000 in the bank. Recent expenditures include the purchase of 3 new fryers for the Fish Fry.
Outreach – Nick Revill:
Nick reviewed the recent TVS events including a “casting camp” on the TVS factory lawn. And there are 3 more events scheduled this month including an evening event (start time 5-5:30 pm) with Black Mountain Home on the 31st. Pizza will be served to the kids and volunteers at the Black Mountain Home event.
Fishery Management – Jim Ungaro & Joe McMurray (for Rick Hybil):
- The thermocline is at about 15’-20’.
- John Ciriello mentioned that there has been a lot of sediment (run off) in Lake Wanteska as a result of recent heavy rains. John also expressed concern with the algae growth and the number of geese in Wanteska. It was suggested that John meet with concerned Club members and with Spencer Brown to make suggestions.
- We are expecting a delivery of Gambusia minnows in early July (for placement in Atagahi and Ticoa). We are hoping they will spawn a couple of times before the winter.
Tagged Fish – Ray Tuers:
There were no tagged fish reported this month. There have been 3 reported so far this year, all with 2019 tags.
On 4/22 Les Saucier caught a 12” Redear Bream using a popping bug on his fly rod.
Our next monthly meeting:
Thursday, June 20th in the Blue Ridge Lounge with Chef John
Adjourn to the meeting program – introduction of the boat captains by Carol Marines:
Bill Roehrich, Ron Phillips, Rick Stallings, John Kratt, Joe McMurray, Ken Stark, and Jim Bailey
5/18/2019 Al Byrne