Club Meeting Minutes – Aug 16, 2018 Atagahi Park
Call to order was made by George Hewertson with 46 members and guests in attendance
The Pledge was led by Rick Hybil
At today’s meeting we had 1 new member – David Strauss and 1 guest – Dave Watkins.
Allan Jones held the winning ticket and collected $38.
President’s report and announcements – George Hewertson:
- The minutes from the last Club meeting were approved. These minutes are available on the Club’s website under the heading “News & Events”.
- George gave a brief overview of today’s meeting agenda and reminded us that our next Club meeting will be on Saturday, Sept 22.
- George also thanked the many volunteers who made this year’s Fish Fry such a success.
Election of Club Officers – Nick Revill:
Nominations for Club Officer positions closed on August 14, with 2 candidates nominated: Jim Bailey for President and Carol Marines for Vice-President. Since there was only 1 candidate nominated for each position, a formal vote is not required according to our by-laws. Jim and Carol will be appointed by acclamation at our September Club meeting, with their terms beginning on October 1.
Sunshine Report – Marian Wolf:
Marian reported that 4 cards were sent this month on behalf of the Club.
Programs & Events – Jim Bailey:
- Jim introduced today’s program speaker: General Manager Jim Whitmore.
- Jim asked that we let him know of ideas for future programs.
- A couple of community projects have been identified to date; but due to the current commitments of the Connestee Maintenance staff, these projects will be deferred to next year.
- Sometime in October we will be cleaning-up the previously donated benches located around Connestee. If you are able to help with this effort, please contact Nick Revill.
- We are still expecting to have a Connestee fishing tournament, either this Fall or next Spring. Entry fees for the tournament will be donated to support the Brevard HS Fishing Team, and we plan to invite the team members to participate.
Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:
Club memberships for the 2018/2019 season are at 255 households. Our memberships last season at year end were 265 households.
We have sold 9 boats and several other items so far this year. Total receipts are $4,800. We have 1 Sears 12 ft Gamefisher jon boat currently posted for sale on our website and several additional boats recently donated: another Sears 12 ft jon boat, 3 canoes, a 10′ dinghy, and a 2 person sit-in kayak. Contact Al Byrne for more information.
Outreach – Nick Revill:
- Nick reviewed the 7 Outreach events we’ve had since the last Club meeting. So far this season we’ve provided about 300 Outreach participants with a fun fishing experience in Connestee.
- The new hats provided to participants this year have been very well received.
- The Fish Feeder is definitely making a difference in the number of catches.
- We are very pleased with the number of volunteers helping with the Outreach events, and we’re especially thankful for having several new volunteers this year.
Treasurer’s report – Jim Ungaro:
- Our current bank balance is approx $17,000. We are ahead of budget (favorable), and we plan to carry-over funding to next year for Outreach equipment, a Community Project, and lake stocking. We expect to have sufficient funds going into next year to continue and possibly enhance our programs.
- The Fish Fry netted $6,500.
- Let us know of any Community Project suggestions.
- We are increasing this year’s contribution to the Connestee Employees Fund from $800 to $1,000.
- We raised $250 for the Scholarship Fund at Fish-A-Rama. And additionally we will be donating our planned contribution of $250 at the Scholarship Fund gala.
- The Volunteer Brunch is scheduled for October 2nd.
- Chris Wunder mentioned that there are still calendars available for sale. Stop in the Admin office to purchase.
Fish Fry – Steve Seelinger:
On behalf of himself and co-chair Kevin Henebry, Steve offered a very well deserved THANKS to the many volunteers who made the Fish Fry such an overwhelming success.
Fishery Management – Rick Hybil:
- The surface water temperatures have cooled a few degrees, now running in the high 70s compared to the low 80s in July. The water temperature at the Carson Creek inlet to Atagahi is still about 70 deg.
- The fish feeder has definitely increased catches. This was quite obvious while it was down for repairs during the last 1 ½ weeks. The feeder is back up now, and many thanks to Spencer and the Maintenance crew for replacing the concrete footing.
- Upcoming trout stockings are planned for November, January, and March. And more forage fish stocking is planned for lakes Wanteska and Tiaroga.
Tagged Fish – Ray Tuers:
Ray reported that Bruce Redler caught a green-tagged trout on 7/29, fishing from the Lake Ticoa dam. (Green is last year’s color). As a Club member Bruce received a $50 Clubhouse dining certificate.
Lunker Awards – Al Byrne:
- On July 30th Les Saucier caught an 11 in bluegill using a fly rod near the Atagahi dam.
- Also on July 30th Kaitlyn Owen, while participating in an Outreach event with the Boys & Girls Club, caught a 11 ¼ in brim at Atagahi Park.
Our next monthly meeting:
Saturday, September 22, starting at 9:00 AM in the Atagahi Park pavilion.
Adjourn to the meeting program – introduction by Jim Bailey:
Following the business meeting, we had the opportunity visit with Jim Whitmore, our new Connestee General Manager. Jim discussed his background and mentioned that he has purchased a home in Connestee. Jim also addressed many questions and suggestions from attendees.
Jim can be reached by email at email@example.com.