Call to order was made by President Jim Bailey with 26 members and guests in attendance.
Jim Bailey led The Pledge
Welcome New Members & Guests:
Jim welcomed 5 guests and new members, and a rousing welcome was given for Bill Roehrich’s return.
Jim Bailey held the winning ticket and returned his winnings back to the Club.
President’s report and announcements – Jim Bailey:
- The minutes of last month’s Club meeting were approved.
- Jim B briefly reviewed the meeting that he and Jim Ungaro had recently with Jim Whitmore. Jim Whitmore is very supportive of the Club and our activities, and we are very appreciative of all that CFPOA does for us.
- Jim B reviewed
the current list of proposed Community Projects:
- Installation of railings along the Ticoa Park dock.
- Replacing the Atagahi Park floating dock with a more permanent structure.
- Installation of message display boards at our lakes, similar to those at state/national parks.
Programs & Events – Carol Marines:
- The Fishing Tournament is scheduled for Saturday, May 11th. There will be a $25 entrance fee, and the event is open to all Connestee residents. Net proceeds will be donated to the Brevard High School Fishing Team. Carol made available a handout with all the tournament details. Tournament registration forms will be available on the Club’s website, at Club meetings, at the Captain’s meeting, and from 7-8 am at Atagahi Park on the day of the tournament.
- For our program this morning, Wes Davidson will share his stories of fishing with his dad on Ohio lakes.
- Our May meeting will be on Saturday, May 18th and include a boat show and hot dog lunch. Meeting start time is 10 am.
Sunshine Report – Frank Wolf:
Frank reported on the cards sent out this month on behalf of the Club.
Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:
- To date we have 149 member households that have joined/renewed Club memberships (including lifetime members).
- We currently have a healthy stock of canoes in our RV1 storage rack. Not all are listed yet on our website, but you can take a look at them in RV1 and call Al Byrne if interested.
- The Club inventory of all the boat storage slips in Connestee has been completed. (Thank you Joe McMurray!). There are a total of 53 “open” slips, and Mae in CFPOA accounting will be following up on these with the registered owners.
Treasurer’s report – Jim Ungaro:
Jim reported that we spent $2,000 on the recent stocking of trout fingerlings in Lakes Wanteska and Tiaroga. Our Club finances remain in very good shape.
Outreach – Nick Revill:
- The Outreach event this Friday with Black Mountain Home will likely be rescheduled due to the weather. Watch our website for schedule updates.
- Nick displayed the 3 different colored hats being given to Outreach participants this year. The hats can also be purchased for $20 ea.
- We need to utilize other Connestee venues for our Outreach events in addition to Atagahi Park. It’s an imposition on Atagahi Park users when we close the swimming area for an Outreach fishing event.
- We have 2 “casting camps” set up with TVS on the lawn at their factory location. We will likely also schedule a couple with the Boys & Girls Club.
- We plan to cap the number of Outreach events this year at 20.
Fish Fry – Randy Bunn:
- Randy reminded us that the FF is scheduled for Friday 7/19.
- Randy has signup sheets for the various volunteer functions needed and will be contacting team leaders shortly.
- The new fish fryer that Jim Ungaro recently purchased looks good. Jim U will purchase 2 more.
- Chris Wunder will lead the FF fund raising/donations efforts again this year. Chris will again be providing calendars for sale at the FF, and he needs additional photos of Connestee life. Chris is also hoping to have additional female volunteers to help with donations from local businesses.
Fishery Management – Rick Hybil:
- Lake surface temperatures are running in the low to mid 60s.
- Trout fingerlings (3”-5”) were stocked in Lakes Wanteska and Tiaroga on 3/28. And we expect to soon release Gambusia minnows in Lakes Atagahi and Ticoa as forage fish. We need a couple of boat owners on each lake to help with distribution of the minnows.
- The silt spill in Little Atagahi came from dredging golf course pond #5. Silt control will be priority for any future golf course dredging.
- Rick showed us his “catch & release” trout net and spoke to the proper method and time constraints for safely releasing trout.
- Ray Tuers has drafted a revised recommendation for “catch & release” of trout in our lakes. This will be posted periodically in the Friday Flyer.
Tagged Fish – Ray Tuers:
Ray reported that 2 orange-tagged trout have been reported, the first this season. Winning Club members Dan Shook and Chuck Kropp receive $50 Clubhouse dining certificates. (Non-members get a $25 gift certificate and a free 1 year Club membership, if eligible).
On 4/15 Jim Rudy caught a 13 1/8” crappie trolling in deep water on Lake Ticoa.
- It was suggested that CFPOA guest fishing licenses be made available online.
- There was an observation that CF Security has started checking fishing licenses and creel limits. It was suggested that they also carry with them a copy of the CF Fishing Regulations.
- There are quite a few boats dislodged in the boat storage racks on the lakes, due to the high winds last Sunday. It is the owners’ responsibility to get their boats back into the proper locations.
- Yes, CF registration stickers are required for paddle boards.
Our next monthly meeting:
Hot Dog Lunch and Boat Show – starting at 10 AM Saturday, May18th, at Atagahi Park.
Adjourn to the meeting program – Carol Marines:
Wes Davidson shared his memories of fishing as a youngster with his dad on Ohio lakes. Excellent presentation Wes…….thanks for stirring up many of our own childhood memories.