Club Meeting Minutes – 8/15/2019
Call to order was made by President Jim Bailey with 34 members and guests in attendance.
The Pledge was led by Frank Wolf
Welcome New Members & Guests:
Jim welcomed 1 guest.
Myron Pstrak held the winning ticket and collected $40.
Water Safety Moment – Jim Bailey:
Personal Floatation Devices
On a vessel underway, children under 13 must wear an appropriate Coast Guard-approved PFD, unless they are below decks or in an enclosed cabin. Additionally, a boat 16′ in length or greater, except canoes and kayaks, must have a throwable flotation device. See specific state requirements for life jackets.
When purchasing a children’s life jacket, look for the following:
- Brand New … Life jackets do have an expiration date. Materials can become brittle, the inner foam can get soggy, and the straps can start to wear out and become unreliable.
- U.S. Coast Guard Approved … Look for a seal that the item is approved by the US Coast Guard.
- Classified for Kids
- Well-Fitting & Suitable for Current Weight … Not too big or too small. Comfortably snug … has a crotch strap.
- Brightly- Colored
- Features a Grab Handle
For More Information, visit the US Coast Guard web-site
President’s report and announcements – Jim Bailey:
- The minutes of last month’s Club meeting were approved.
- 3 Nominations for Club officer positions have been received so far: Randy Bunn, John Ciriello, Myron Pstrak. If any other Club members are interested or wish to nominate a candidate, please submit the name(s) to one of the Nominating Committee members (Nick Revill, George Hewertson, Kevin Henebry).
- Calendars are for sale in the Connestee Admin office.
- Messages from Club members and CF neighbors:
- Suspicious scum and dead fish in Atagahi cove (west of dam): This report was investigated the following day by Rick Hybil, but no scum or dead fish were found. Usually dead fish are quickly consumed by other wildlife, and the accumulation of pollen, leaves, and other debris in that cove varies day-to-day with the wind speed and direction.
- Harvesting trout above the creel limit: Reports of this and other violations of Connestee regulations should be reported immediately to CF Security.
- Thanks to Randy Bunn and all the volunteers who made this year’s Fish Fry such a great success. And Randy has agreed to chair the Fry again next year!
- Following Jim Bailey’s report, a drawing for the unclaimed items from the FF raffle was held for the meeting attendees.
Fish Fry Wrap-up – Randy Bunn:
- Randy reported on the success of the event and again thanked all the volunteers.
- A review will be conducted to determine what went well and where improvements can be made.
Programs & Events – Carol Marines:
- Today’s Program – Jim Whitmore
- September Program – Fish Stories
- October – no formal program
Sunshine Report – Marian Wolf:
Marian reported on the cards that were sent. And it was suggested that a card also be sent to Scott Smith.
Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:
We have several inexpensive canoes and a complete 13’ sailing dinghy in our RV1 storage rack. There are also 2 aluminum jon boats being donated which we haven’t picked up yet. A complete list all available boats is on our website. Call Al Byrne if interested.
Treasurer’s report – Jim Ungaro:
- Jim reported that the Fish Fry net proceeds were better than last year, even with the $700 purchase of new fryers.
- Overall the financial performance of the Club to date is favorable compared to the budget.
Outreach – Nick Revill:
- Nick reviewed the recent and upcoming Outreach events.
- Next year we will not be scheduling any PARI events, since Duke is no longer holding programs at PARI.
Fishery Management – Rick Hybil:
- Surface temperatures are running around 80 deg, with the thermocline at 15’-20’ in Lake Atagahi. There is still good oxygen down to 40’ in Lake Ticoa and 35’ in Lake Wanteska.
- The best trout fishing is at 15’ to 30’.
- Little Atagahi continues to be stained with silt from the golf course and normal erosion.
On 7/25 Cork Snearly caught an orange tagged trout (2019 color) on Lake Wanteska using a Hulu stick.
Lunker Awards – Al Byrne:
- On 7/1 Les Saucier caught a 13” redear bream near Atagahi Park.
- On 7/27 Bill Roehrich caught a 16”, 2.2 lb crappie in Lake Ticoa on a black Senko.
Our next monthly meeting:
Saturday, September 21st, in the Atagahi Pavilion
Adjourn to the meeting program – introduction of Jim Whitmore by Carol Marines:
Jim gave an excellent review of recently completed and upcoming Connestee projects. And Jim responded to a wide range of question and comments from the meeting attendees.