Call to order was made by President Jim Bailey with 42 members and guests in attendance in the Clubhouse Lounge
The Pledge was led by a Club member
Welcome New Members & Guests:
Jim welcomed 1 guest.
Mike Rothman held the winning ticket and collected $52.
President's report and announcements – Jim Bailey:
- The minutes of last month’s Club meeting were approved.
- Kevin Henebry volunteered for the Club officer Nominating committee, in addition to George Hewertson and Nick Revill who had already been appointed.
- We will proceed with a community project to purchase & install a Fishing Regulation and Creel Limit signage board in Atagahi Park. Approx total cost will be $600, with CFPOA to provide matching funds.
- Jim thanked Nick & Cheryl, George Hewertson, and Carol Marines for their special efforts in making the CF Activity Showcase a success. 7 new Club members signed up.
Water Safety Moment – Jim Bailey:
- Know water depths, whether on a pool deck or on the dock … and how that relates to the height of the
swimmers in your party … especially kids.
A 6 year-old should know that 4 ft of water is (probably) over his or her head, and 3 1/2 ft of water is
up to his eyes, which is still over his airway.
- This piece of knowledge helps swimmers make good decisions and helps them to understand how water
depths are different for each person.
- All water can be dangerous - even inches. Always enter the water feet first.
Programs & Events – Carol Marines:
- For today’s program we are hosting Sheriff David Mahoney.
- For the August program we are planning to host GM Jim Whitmore.
- And for September we plan to share our Club member fishing experiences.
Fish Fry Update – Randy Bunn:
- Randy gave a brief review of preparations for the Fry and asked that any volunteers with questions see him after the meeting.
- Jim Ungaro reported that the Fry is sold out, with 260 tickets sold.
A Club member asked that a card be sent to Jim Rumph.
Secretary's Report – Al Byrne:
We have several inexpensive canoes, 2 aluminum v-hulls, 3 sit-on-top kayaks, and a complete sailing dinghy in our RV1 storage rack. A complete list all available boats is on our website. Call Al Byrne if interested.
Treasurer's report – Jim Ungaro:
- Jim reported the recent expenditure of $14,000 ($7,000 CFFC, $7,000 CFPOA) for forage fish stocking. (Gambusia minnows were placed in lakes Ticoa and Atagahi).
- Hats were also purchased by the Club for Outreach participants.
Outreach – Nick Revill:
Nick reviewed the recent Outreach events and commented on how well the “casting camps” have been received.
Fishery Management – Rick Hybil & Joe McMurray:
- Surface temperatures are running at about 79-81 deg, with the thermocline at 15’-20’.
- Trout are hanging at about 10’-15’.
- Due to concerns with the fish feeder attracting geese, the daily schedule has been moved to 5:45 am.
- Approx 50,000 Gambusia minnows were stocked in Lakes Ticoa and Atagahi on July 9th.
Tagged Fish – Ray Tuers
Bill Hudson caught a 20” tagged trout on Lake Atagahi, with this year’s tag.
Lunker Awards – Al Byrne
- On 6/22 Les Saucier caught an 11” male bluegill near Atagahi Dam using a fly rod with a popping bug.
- On 7/1 Les caught a 13” redear bream near Atagahi Park.
Our next monthly meeting:
Thursday, August 15th, when we will host GM Jim Whitmore in the Atagahi Park pavilion.
Adjourn to the meeting program – introduction of Sheriff Mahoney by Carol Marines:
Sheriff Mahoney gave an outstanding presentation, focused mainly on the development of the department’s 2 youth camps: Shield Camp and Dare Camp.
Donations to support the camps can be made to the Blue Line Foundation of Transylvania County.