10 am, Clubhouse Lounge
Call to order was made by Vice-President Myron Pstrak with 25 members and guests in attendance.
Pledge of Allegiance
Welcome New Members & Guests:
Myron welcomed 1 new member.
Tom Murray held the winning ticket and collected $23.
President's report and announcements – Myron Pstrak:
- The minutes from last month’s meeting were approved.
- There are several changes to the Club’s contests, including the Lunker awards and Tagged Trout program. More details will be presented by Rick Hybil later in this meeting.
- A new fish feeder has been installed in Ticoa Park.
Programs & Events – Myron Pstrak:
- For today’s program Bruce Mcdonald of the NC Forest Service will speak about plans for Dupont Forest.
- March program - TBD.
No Sunshine cards sent this month.
Secretary's Report – Al Byrne:
- We have a very nice Starcraft 12’ jon boat and an excellent 12’ Jackson sit-on-top kayak for sale. We have also reduced the price of the 13’ Chrysler sailboat to $300.
- If you are looking for a particular type of small boat and don’t see one listed on our website, let Al Byrne know. We may have a boat we are repairing and haven’t listed yet, or we can watch for a future donation.
Treasurer's report – Vernetta Milts:
- We spent $966 for the new fish feeder at Ticoa Park. ½ of the cost will be
reimbursed by CFPOA.
- Our current bank balance in $15,862.
Outreach – Nick Revill:
- Teddy Migues will be stepping down from the Outreach program. He will be sorely missed! We will need volunteers to pick up the Outreach trailer for events.
- Nick has been unable to contact PARI regarding scheduling an event. And it appears Meridian Behavior Health will no longer be a participant.
- The following organizations have already been scheduled for events this season: Boys & Girls Club, Special Olympics, Bound for Glory, Sheriff’s Shield Camp.
- And Nick has gotten a very favorable response from the VA.
Fishery Management – Rick Hybil & Joe McMurray:
- Rick reviewed the Feb 10th stocking. Details are on ourwebsite. Total cost was $4,000, paid for by CFPOA.
- The next stocking of full-sized trout will be in November. Trout fingerlings will be stocked in Lakes Wanteska and Tiaroga in April.
- The surface temperatures in all the lakes is running between 46.6
and 48 deg. Oxygen is 11.1 to 11.4. Good oxygen has been measured down to 60 ft.
- The new fish feeder at Ticoa Park is working well and attracting a lot of trout. We need a volunteer to help operate it (fill with food & set timer as needed).
- Joe McMurray will need about 6 volunteers to help construct the
new fish hides. Looking at the end of March / early April.
- Rick explained the “enhanced” lunker program. The new program
provides a $25 clubhouse dining certificate for a lunker of any species. There is no limit on the number of $25 certificates awarded per species or per
angler. (Angler must have a Connestee fishing license). We ask that lunkers be
“catch & release” except for trout. Note also that we will honor those who
wish to remain anonymous and not have their catches publicized.
- The Club is also initiating a new contest called the “Golden
Trout” contest. One specially identified trout will be stocked in each lake once
a year. And a $100 clubhouse dining certificate will be awarded to anglers who catch one of these. (Angler must have a Connestee fishing license). The “Golden Trout” stocking for this year will be in April.
Community Project – Ray Tuers & Al Byrne:
Ray and Al reported that several
postings have been added to the new sign board in Atagahi Park. Take a look! If you have a relevant posting you would like to add, please contact Al Byrne.
No tagged fish have been reported since the last meeting.
Lunker Awards – Al Byrne:
No lunkers have been reported since the last meeting.
Our next monthlymeeting:
Thursday, March 19th, convening at 10 AM in the Blue Ridge Lounge.
Adjournto the meeting program:
We had a very interesting and informative
presentation by Bruce Mcdonald of the NC Forest Service. Bruce reviewed many interesting facts and future plans for the Dupont State Recreational Forest.