Archive for the ‘Club Meeting Minutes’ Category

Club Meeting Minutes, October 18, 2018, Clubhouse Lounge

Call to order was made by Jim Bailey with 20 members and guests in attendance

The Pledge was led by John Gannon

Welcome New Members & Guests:

Guest Dave Watkins told the group a little of his background and how he ended up living in Connestee.

50/50 Raffle:

Marjorie Wunder held the winning ticket and collected $20.

President’s report and announcements – Jim Bailey:

  1. The minutes from the last Club meeting were approved. These minutes are available on the Club’s website under the heading “News & Events”.
  2. Jim welcomed Carol Marines as our new Vice-President.
  3. The Club’s Volunteer Brunch was held Oct 2nd, with approx 44 volunteers attending. The following awards were presented:
    • Past President – George Hewertson
    • Largest Bass – Quentin Bahr
    • Sportsman of the Year – Kevin Henebry
    • Distinguished Service – Rob Amato, Chris Wunder, Myron Pstrak, Joe McMurray, and Jim McIntosh

Since Chris Wunder was unable to attend the Brunch, he was presented with his award at this time.

  1. Our next Club meeting will be held on Thursday, November 15th, at the Clubhouse starting at 9 a.m.

Sunshine Report – Marian Wolf:

Marian reported that 1 card was sent this month on behalf of the Club. And Marian was advised that Ken Stark recently had knee replacement surgery.

Programs & Events – Carol Marines:

  1. Since we had the Volunteers Brunch earlier this month, no formal meeting program is scheduled for today. However, we are inviting members to share their “fish tales” with the group.
  2. Carol discussed several ideas for future meeting programs, including bringing in representatives from groups that participate in our Outreach events. Carol also mentioned bringing in our next Sheriff. And Carol asked that we let her know of other suggestions for future meeting programs.
  3. For next month’s program (Nov 15), Mike Cheek of the NC Forest Service will speak about the recently opened Headwaters State Forest.
  4. We plan to clean the previously donated benches located around Connestee, scheduled for 10 am Oct 30th, meeting at Atagahi Park. If you are able to help with this effort, please contact Nick Revill (fpolisher@aol.com).
  5. The First Annual Connestee Falls fishing tournament is scheduled for May 11th.
    • We will fish all 4 lakes.
    • Atagahi Park has been reserved for gathering, food, and awards.
    • We plan to bring in the Brevard HS Fishing team to join in the event. They will be competing amongst themselves (not against our other participants).
    • We need additional volunteers to help with sales/marketing and score keeping.

Treasurer’s report – Jim Ungaro:

  1. Our financial performance to date is very favorable compared to budget. Jim cautioned that our current cash balance includes significant amounts for a community project and lake stocking that will be carried forward into 2019. Jim also advised that we continue to be conservative in our spending, considering that we had some exceptional revenue this year (particularly from boat sales and the Fish Fry), but we cannot expect that level of continued income in future years.
  2. The proposed Club budget for 2019 will be presented at the November Club meeting, with final voting by the membership at the January meeting. Club members will also be given the opportunity to vote and comment on the budget electronically prior to the January meeting.
  3. Jim noted that the proposed budget for 2019 will include a $1,000 donation to the Connestee Employees Fund. (Our contribution for 2018 was also $1,000, increased from the $800 budgeted). Jim emphasized the great support we get from the Connestee employees for our many Club activities/events.

Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:

  1. Club memberships for the 2018/2019 season are at 256 households. Our memberships at year end last year were 265 households.
  2. We currently have 3 inexpensive canoes and a 2-person kayak for sale. Check our website for photos and pricing.
  3. And check our website for a variety of other information about the Club, including Club History, Calendar of Events, Contact Info for Club Officers, Meeting Minutes, Lunker Catches, and more.

Outreach – Nick Revill:

  1. The event with Goodwill Industries was held on October 17. Although the fishing was poor (2 brim) and the weather was cold, the participants enjoyed getting outdoors and having a picnic lunch.
  2. Our Outreach trailer is 10 yrs old and needs new tires. And we will be purchasing additional replacement reels next year. These items will be included in the proposed 2019 budget.
  3. Our recent reel purchases have been Abu Garcia for about $45 ea. They are more costly than previous reels, but are proving to be much more reliable.
  4. We could use some additional help next year maintaining our fishing equipment. And Nick is looking for more ideas for next year’s Outreach program.
  5. We will provide hats again next year to participants. They were a big hit this year.

Fishery Management – Rick Hybil:

  1. The surface water temperatures are cooling off, running about 70 deg from the surface down to about 15 ft, with good oxygen. The thermocline is at about 20-25 ft in Lake Atagahi.
  2. A stocking of 14”-16” rainbows is planned for November, prior to Thanksgiving. And a stocking of 3”-5” trout fingerlings (forage fish) is also planned for this Fall in Lakes Wanteska and Tiaroga.
  3. Next year we are planning to introduce forage fish in all 4 lakes to help enhance the bass populations.
  4. There was a comment that trout can be found as deep as 60 ft in Lake Ticoa. We have never been able to verify that there are active springs on the bottom of Lake Ticoa, providing oxygen to the deeper waters; but we will continue to investigate.
  5. The CFPOA is now a member of the North Carolina Lake Management Society. This affiliation should provide helpful information for future lake management.
  6. The CFPOA proposed lake stocking budget for next year is $10,800 (increased from $10,500 in 2018). We are also expecting approx $7,000 in matching funds from CFPOA for stocking.

Tagged Fish :

No tagged fish were reported since the last meeting. A total of 9 tagged fish have been reported so far this year. (35 are tagged each year).

Lunker Awards – Al Byrne:

  1. Two of the participants at our Special Olympics Outreach event caught 11” bluegills. Nick Revill will present their awards at the upcoming Special Olympics banquet on Oct 19th.
  2. On Oct 6, Chris Wunder caught an exceptional 21”, 2 lb 6 oz rainbow on Lake Ticoa using a fly rod.

Our next monthly meeting:

Thursday, November 15, at the Clubhouse starting at 9 AM.

Adjourn to the meeting program – Jim Bailey:

Following the business meeting, we heard several very interesting “fish tales” from our members. Thanks to all who shared!

10/18/2018  Al Byrne


 

Club Meeting Minutes – Sept 22, 2018 at Atagahi Park

Call to order was made by George Hewertson with 40 members and guests in attendance

The Pledge was led by Ken Stark

At today’s meeting we had 1 guest attending – Dave Patterson

50/50 Raffle:

Howard Fisher held the winning ticket and collected $41.

President’s report and announcements – George Hewertson:

  1. The minutes from the last Club meeting were approved. These minutes are available on the Club’s website under the heading “News & Events”.
  2. Our Club Volunteer Brunch is Tuesday, Oct 2. The event recognizes all our wonderful volunteers who have helped out during the year.
  3. George gave a brief overview of today’s meeting agenda and reminded us that our next Club meeting will be on Thursday, Oct 18 at the Clubhouse, starting at 9 AM.

Election of Club Officers – Nick Revill:

Nick announced the appointment of Club officers for the coming season: Jim Bailey – President, Carol Marines – Vice-President, Jim Ungaro – Treasurer, and Al Byrne – Secretary. Their terms begin on October 1.

Sunshine Report – Frank Wolf:

Frank reported the cards that were sent this month on behalf of the Club.

Programs & Events – Jim Bailey:

  1. Jim introduced today’s program about Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
  2. Since we are having the Volunteers Brunch in October, no post-meeting program is scheduled for that month.
  3. Jim asked that we let him know of ideas for future meeting programs. Jim suggested that Club members’ personal fishing experiences would be welcome additions to future programs.
  4. Sometime in October we will be cleaning up the previously donated benches located around Connestee. If you are able to help with this effort, please contact Nick Revill.
  5. We are continuing to plan a Connestee fishing tournament for next Spring. Entry fees (probably $25 each angler) will be donated to support the Brevard HS Fishing Team, and we plan to invite the team members to participate.
  6. If you have any un-needed fishing equipment, please consider donating it to the Club for the HS Fishing Team.

Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:

  1. Club memberships for the 2018/2019 season are at 256 households. Our memberships last season at year end were 265 households.

  2. Boat sales receipts YTD are $5,775. We have several recent donations of canoes and a 2-person kayak, which will be posted on our website shortly. Contact Al Byrne for more information.

Outreach – Nick Revill:

  1. Nick showed us the large paper fish with many signatures, presented to the Club from the Boys & Girls Club.
  2. The Special Olympics Outreach event was last Saturday and was a fun outing in spite of the iffy weather. The fishing was pretty good, with 2 lunker Bluegills caught. We had about 17 active anglers with many parents and supporters also attending. T-shirts and hats were distributed to the participants.
  3. There is only one scheduled event remaining for the season: Goodwill Industries on October 17.

Treasurer’s report – Jim Ungaro:

With Jim absent from the meeting, there was no Treasurer’s update for this month.

Fishery Management – Rick Hybil:

  1. The surface water temperatures are running in the high 70’s, with oxygen levels quite low below 15′. Recent trout fishing has been very good.
  2. The trout in Lake Tiaroga apparently survived quite will over the summer, with no evidence of dead fish reported.
  3. The Fishery Management committee has recommended that the lakes be lowered every year. CF Maintenance is reluctant to do this so often because of the risk of a riser becoming stuck and emptying an entire lake. It is also time consuming to check all the boats of those away from Connestee to be sure dock lines are sufficiently lengthened to accommodate the lake level drop. (CFFC volunteers could help with that effort).

Tagged Fish – Ray Tuers:

Ray reported that no tagged fish were reported since the last meeting. A total of 9 tagged fish have been reported so far this year. (35 are tagged each year).

Lunker Awards – Al Byrne:

On September 5th Les Saucier caught an 11” Redear Sunfish near Atagahi Park using a 3 wt fly rod. Les also caught a lunker Redear last month.

Other Comments/Questions from the floor:

Gillian Hillman mentioned that she is organizing the decorating of a “doggie tree” for a fund raising event at the Porter Center on Nov 28th. If you can help with the decorating, please contact Gillian.

Our next monthly meeting:

Thursday, October 18, at the Clubhouse starting at 9 AM.

Adjourn to the meeting program – Jim Bailey:

Following the business meeting, we had an excellent talk from Jim Bailey about his camping/canoeing/fishing adventures in Minnesota’s pristine, 1 million acre, Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area. Thank you Jim for sharing your experiences!

9/22/2018  Al Byrne


 

Club Meeting Minutes – Aug 16, 2018 Atagahi Park

Call to order was made by George Hewertson with 46 members and guests in attendance

The Pledge was led by Rick Hybil

At today’s meeting we had 1 new member – David Strauss and 1 guest – Dave Watkins.

50/50 Raffle:

Allan Jones held the winning ticket and collected $38.

President’s report and announcements – George Hewertson:

  1. The minutes from the last Club meeting were approved. These minutes are available on the Club’s website under the heading “News & Events”.
  2. George gave a brief overview of today’s meeting agenda and reminded us that our next Club meeting will be on Saturday, Sept 22.
  3. George also thanked the many volunteers who made this year’s Fish Fry such a success.

Election of Club Officers – Nick Revill:

Nominations for Club Officer positions closed on August 14, with 2 candidates nominated: Jim Bailey for President and Carol Marines for Vice-President. Since there was only 1 candidate nominated for each position, a formal vote is not required according to our by-laws. Jim and Carol will be appointed by acclamation at our September Club meeting, with their terms beginning on October 1.

Sunshine Report – Marian Wolf:

Marian reported that 4 cards were sent this month on behalf of the Club.

Programs & Events – Jim Bailey:

  1. Jim introduced today’s program speaker: General Manager Jim Whitmore.
  2. Jim asked that we let him know of ideas for future programs.
  3. A couple of community projects have been identified to date; but due to the current commitments of the Connestee Maintenance staff, these projects will be deferred to next year.
  4. Sometime in October we will be cleaning-up the previously donated benches located around Connestee. If you are able to help with this effort, please contact Nick Revill.
  5. We are still expecting to have a Connestee fishing tournament, either this Fall or next Spring. Entry fees for the tournament will be donated to support the Brevard HS Fishing Team, and we plan to invite the team members to participate.

Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:

  1. Club memberships for the 2018/2019 season are at 255 households. Our memberships last season at year end were 265 households.

  2. We have sold 9 boats and several other items so far this year. Total receipts are $4,800. We have 1 Sears 12 ft Gamefisher jon boat currently posted for sale on our website and several additional boats recently donated: another Sears 12 ft jon boat, 3 canoes, a 10′ dinghy, and a 2 person sit-in kayak. Contact Al Byrne for more information.

Outreach – Nick Revill:

  1. Nick reviewed the 7 Outreach events we’ve had since the last Club meeting. So far this season we’ve provided about 300 Outreach participants with a fun fishing experience in Connestee.
  2. The new hats provided to participants this year have been very well received.
  3. The Fish Feeder is definitely making a difference in the number of catches.
  4. We are very pleased with the number of volunteers helping with the Outreach events, and we’re especially thankful for having several new volunteers this year.

Treasurer’s report – Jim Ungaro:

  1. Our current bank balance is approx $17,000. We are ahead of budget (favorable), and we plan to carry-over funding to next year for Outreach equipment, a Community Project, and lake stocking. We expect to have sufficient funds going into next year to continue and possibly enhance our programs.
  2. The Fish Fry netted $6,500.
  3. Let us know of any Community Project suggestions.
  4. We are increasing this year’s contribution to the Connestee Employees Fund from $800 to $1,000.
  5. We raised $250 for the Scholarship Fund at Fish-A-Rama. And additionally we will be donating our planned contribution of $250 at the Scholarship Fund gala.
  6. The Volunteer Brunch is scheduled for October 2nd.
  7. Chris Wunder mentioned that there are still calendars available for sale. Stop in the Admin office to purchase.

Fish Fry – Steve Seelinger:

On behalf of himself and co-chair Kevin Henebry, Steve offered a very well deserved THANKS to the many volunteers who made the Fish Fry such an overwhelming success.

Fishery Management – Rick Hybil:

  1. The surface water temperatures have cooled a few degrees, now running in the high 70s compared to the low 80s in July. The water temperature at the Carson Creek inlet to Atagahi is still about 70 deg.
  2. The fish feeder has definitely increased catches. This was quite obvious while it was down for repairs during the last 1 ½ weeks. The feeder is back up now, and many thanks to Spencer and the Maintenance crew for replacing the concrete footing.
  3. Upcoming trout stockings are planned for November, January, and March. And more forage fish stocking is planned for lakes Wanteska and Tiaroga.

Tagged Fish – Ray Tuers:

Ray reported that Bruce Redler caught a green-tagged trout on 7/29, fishing from the Lake Ticoa dam. (Green is last year’s color). As a Club member Bruce received a $50 Clubhouse dining certificate.

Lunker Awards – Al Byrne:

  1. On July 30th Les Saucier caught an 11 in bluegill using a fly rod near the Atagahi dam.
  2. Also on July 30th Kaitlyn Owen, while participating in an Outreach event with the Boys & Girls Club, caught a 11 ¼ in brim at Atagahi Park.

Our next monthly meeting:

Saturday, September 22, starting at 9:00 AM in the Atagahi Park pavilion.

Adjourn to the meeting program – introduction by Jim Bailey:

Following the business meeting, we had the opportunity visit with Jim Whitmore, our new Connestee General Manager. Jim discussed his background and mentioned that he has purchased a home in Connestee. Jim also addressed many questions and suggestions from attendees.

Jim can be reached by email at jimwhitmore@connesteefalls.com.

8/16/2018

Al Byrne


 

Club Meeting Minutes – 7/19/2018 at 9 AM Atagahi Park

Call to order was made by George Hewertson with 35 members in attendance

The Pledge was led by Joe McMurray

We had no new members or guests at today’s meeting.

50/50 Raffle:

Chris Wunder held the winning ticket and donated his winnings back to the Club. Total receipts were $59.

President’s report and announcements – George Hewertson:

  1. The minutes from the last Club meeting were approved. These minutes are available on the Club’s website under the heading “News & Events”.
  2. George gave a brief overview of today’s meeting agenda.
  3. The Fish-A-Rama on June 23rd was a great success. We had 41 registrants; caught 58 brim, 9 bass, and 2 trout; and we consumed 100+ very large hot dogs.

Election of Club Officers – Nick Revill:

The nominations to date are Jim Bailey for President and Carol Marines for Vice-President. Nick encouraged Club members to offer additional candidates.

Sunshine Report – Marian Wolf:

Marian reported that 4 cards were sent this month on behalf of the Club. Marian also asked for additional volunteers for Fish Fry servers.

Programs & Events – Jim Bailey:

  1. Jim introduced today’s program: “Show & Tell” where Club members bring their favorite rod/reel/tackle to help us learn what works best in our lakes.
  2. Next month’s Club meeting program has not yet been finalized. And Jim asked that we let him know of ideas for future programs.
  3. Bill Roehrich suggested that we prepare a video presentation by several of our key Club members on their favorite fishing rods/reels/tackle and fishing techniques.

Treasurer’s report – Jim Ungaro:

  1. Tickets for this year’s Fish Fry are sold out.
  2. On 7/2 we completed a Threadfin Chad stocking in Lakes Wanteska and Tiaroga. The stocking was about ½ the original order, due to adverse weather conditions at the supplier. We are carrying over $3,500 to next year for additional Threadfin Chad stocking.
  3. For our Community Project we will likely carry-over our budgeted funding to next year. This will allow for a larger project.

Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:

  1. Club memberships for the 2018/2019 season are at 245 households, just slightly behind last year’s numbers.

  2. We have several boats currently available for sale and a couple of additional boats recently donated that will offered for sale shortly. Watch our website and Nextdoor for availability.

Fish Fry – Steve Seelinger & Kevin Henebry

  1. Kevin reviewed the final event preparations.
  2. The 40′ tent will be delivered today. CFPOA Maintenance is overseeing the installation.
  3. Hats and “vintage” t-shirts will be sold during the event.
  4. Steve recognized Chris Wunder for his efforts as chair of the donations committee for the silent auction and raffle. And Chris offered some comments on this year’s donations (approx 50):
    • A $329 wine cooler was donated by Lowes.
    • The Wine Bonanza has accumulated 49 bottles.
    • New this year is the Fishing Club calendar, which will be offered for sale during the FF. The calendar runs from August 2018 thru July 2019. All of the design and printing was provided by volunteers! Chris passed around several copies…….awesome job! Calendars will be sold for $15 ea / 2 for $25 / 3 for $30.

Outreach – Nick Revill:

  1. Nick reviewed the 5 recent Outreach events including Fish-A-Rama.
  2. Our Outreach volunteers are now being referred to as “guides”.
  3. And a special thanks to Ted Migues who secured vast quantities of bait for our events this season.

Fishery Management – Rick Hybil:

  1. The surface water temperature at Atagahi dam is 81 deg, with oxygen levels dropping. Water temp at the Carson Creek inlet to Atagahi is 69.7 deg. The thermocline is at about 10-15′ depth.
  2. During the Threadfin Shad stocking on 7/2, we placed approx 20,000 in Lake Wanteska and 10,000 in Lake Tiaroga.
  3. It was suggested that a Fishery Management update be regularly posted on the Club’s website. And Rick mentioned that he would need volunteers to help collect water data. We will discuss at the next CFFC Executive meeting.
  4. Rick encouraged anglers who catch trout to take them home this time of year. It is difficult to release them unharmed.

Tagged Fish – Ray Tuers:

Ray reported that Dan Hartley caught a blue-tagged trout on 6/23 near the dam on Lake Ticoa. Since Dan was not a Club member, he received a $25 Clubhouse dining certificate and a free 1 year Club membership.

Lunker Awards – Al Byrne:

Chris Wunder caught a 21 1/2” trout on Lake Ticoa; 13 yr old Justin Santilli caught a 14 1/2” perch on Lake Tiaroga; and 15 yr old Quentin Bahr caught a 20” bass by the Lake Ticoa dam.

Our next monthly meeting:

Thursday, August 16th, starting at 9:00 AM in the Atagahi Park pavilion.

Adjourn to the meeting program – introduction by Jim Bailey:

Following the business meeting, we had to opportunity to see & discuss the favorite rods & tackle that Club members brought for “Show & Tell”.

7/19/2018

Al Byrne


 

Club Meeting Minutes – 6/21/2018 at 9 AM Atagahi Park

Call to order was made by George Hewertson with 34 members and guests in attendance

The Pledge was led by Randy Bunn

George welcomed 3 new members & guests to the meeting: Tom Carpenter, Jerry Hyman, and Jake Tibstra.

50/50 Raffle:

Tom Carpenter did the drawing and drew his own ticket! Tom collected $33 from the total ticket receipts of $65.

President’s report and announcements – George Hewertson:

  1. The minutes from the last Club meeting were approved. These minutes are available on the Club’s website under the heading “News & Events”.
  2. George reviewed the agenda for today’s meeting, including the program by Chad Quinn and the upcoming Fish-A-Rama this Saturday. George requested additional volunteers to help with FAR.
  3. Kevin Henebry suggested that we ask the Wood Workers group to donate a couple of “measuring boards” for measuring catches. (We currently have only 2).
  4. George reminded us that at the end of September he will be rolling off as Club President. A nominating committee for the election of next year’s Club officers has been appointed: Nick Revill, Carol Marines, and Rick Hybil.

Sunshine Report – Marian Wolf

Marian reported that 2 card were sent this month on behalf of the Club.

Programs & Events – Jim Bailey:

  1. Jim introduced today’s program: Chad Quinn from Bear Traditional Kayaks and Jason Riddick from Next Venture Outdoors.
  2. For next month’s Club meeting program, we are planning a “show & tell”. Club members are asked to bring their favorite fishing equipment (rod/reel/tackle) for fishing Connestee & local waters. We ask that you only bring 1 rod/reel and 1 or 2 of your favorite lures.
  3. We are also planning to invite Jim Whitmore (CFPOA GM) to one of our future meetings. And we are scheduling a cooking demonstration, which will likely be for the August or September meeting.
  4. We are continuing to plan a Connestee fishing tournament for the Fall. Possible dates are October 6, 13, or 20.

Treasurer’s report – Jim Ungaro:

  1. To date we have a favorable account balance, compared to our budget.
  2. Tickets for this year’s Fish Fry are now available on-line. The price is still only $16 for adults, $8 for children. Total sales will be limited to approx 260-280 due to the capacity limitation of our Atagahi facilities.
  3. We have been unable to get delivery of our order for Threadfin Chad, due to the severe weather conditions at the supplier. We have cut the order to ½ the original so we can at least get some this year. And rather than stock all 4 lakes as originally planned, we will only stock lakes Wanteska and Tiaroga, since the order is so much smaller.

Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:

  1. Club memberships for the 2018/2019 season are at 217 households, about the same as this time last year.

  2. We have recently received several boat donations, which we are in the process of repairing and cleaning up. Watch our website for availability.

  3. And check out our website for a variety of information on the Outreach schedule, fishing tips, news & upcoming events, and a variety of other information about the Club.

Fish Fry – Steve Seelinger

  1. Steve confirmed that this year’s food offerings will include a side of pulled pork.
  2. Steve mentioned that the primary purpose of the event is to “have fun”. But the silent auctions and raffles also generate significant revenue for the Club. Chris Wunder, who is coordinating the auctions and raffles, is asking for donations from our Connestee residents. Hand crafted items sell the best. And we can always use fishing related items. And, of course, booze always sells well.
  3. We are aiming to have 48 bottles of wine for the Wine Bonanza. And we have gathered 39 to date.
  4. Steve also reiterated the need for Fish Fry volunteers, particularly for set up / take down, and someone to take the grills over to Maintenance after the event for power washing.

Outreach – Nick Revill:

  1. Nick reported that there has been a surge in Outreach volunteers!
  2. Nick also reviewed the recent events with TVS, PARI, and Sheriff’s Shield Camp. Fishing with worms on the bottom has yielded the best catch results.
  3. There are 11 benches previously donated by the Club and located around Connestee. They all need pressure washing. Nick will contact Connestee Maintenance to borrow their pressure washer and recruit a couple of Club volunteers to do the cleaning.

Fishery Management Update – Rick Hybil:

  1. Surface water temperatures are about 79 deg; with temperatures at the 10 ft depth about 74 deg. Trout are likely hanging out in the thermocline, at about 10-20 ft depth.
  2. In his report, Jim Ungaro mentioned the delay we’ve had in receiving our order for Threadfin Shad. We expect the reduced order to be delivered in another 2-3 weeks, and are planning to stock the balance of the order next year.
  3. The Bluegill population in our lakes seems to be thriving.

Tagged Fish – Ray Tuers:

Ray reported that Steve Pyle caught a blue-tagged trout on 6/8 in Lake Wanteska.

Lunker Awards – Al Byrne:

Al reported that Allan Jones caught a nice 20” trout on Lake Atagahi on 5/26. Allan commented that it was “good eating”.

Our next monthly meeting:

Thursday, July 19th, starting at 9:00 AM in the Atagahi Park pavilion.

Adjourn to the meeting program – introduction by Jim Bailey:

Following the business meeting, we enjoyed an excellent presentation by Chad Quinn from Bear Traditional Kayaks. Chad reviewed the history of traditional Greenland kayaks and how he constructs these kayaks today. Chad also had several of his traditional kayaks and paddles on display for us to examine and discuss.

6/21/2018

Al Byrne

Club Meeting Minutes – 5/19/2018

10 am at Atagahi Park

Call to order was made by George Hewertson with 42 members and guests in attendance

The Pledge was led by Ken Stark

George welcomed 4 new residents (Jim McIntosh, Bobby & Kathy Griffin, and Randy Bunn) and 1 visitor to the meeting.

50/50 Raffle:

Ken Stark held the winning ticket and received $41 from the total ticket receipts of $82. Ken returned $20 of his winnings to Club.

President’s report and announcements – George Hewertson:

  1. The minutes from the last Club meeting were approved. These minutes are available on the Club’s website under the heading “News & Events”.
  2. George reviewed the agenda for today’s meeting, including the boat show and “tube steak” lunch to follow.
  3. George reminded us of the upcoming Fish-A-Rama event scheduled for Saturday June 23rd. The event will include a 50/50 raffle to benefit the Connestee Scholarship Fund. Volunteers are needed to help with the various duties, including helping the kids with fishing and measuring catches. Contact George or any of the Club officers to volunteer.

Programs & Events – Jim Bailey:

  1. For our June meeting program, we are planning to have Chad Quinn, who does an excellent presentation on his custom built traditional kayaks. Chad’s business is called Bear Traditional Kayaks, located in Brevard at the rear of Next Ventures Outdoors.
  2. Jim thanked all those who have already donated fishing equipment and tackle to the Brevard HS Fishing Team. And Jim asked Club members to continue to look for items they no longer use that they might donate.
  3. We are continuing to plan a fishing tournament for the Fall. 2 person teams will compete, with an entry fee and prizes. Proceeds will help support the Brevard HS Fishing Team.

Treasurer’s report – Jim Ungaro:

  1. To date we have an account balance of $13,800.
  2. Jim reminded us that it’s time to renew our Club memberships, which expired at the end of April. You can renew on line on the Club’s website cffishclub.org under the heading “Club Membership”.
  3. Jim asked that Club members consider ideas for this year’s Community Project.

Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:

  1. Club memberships for the 2018/2019 season are at 195 households, about the same as this time last year.

  2. Boat sales to date are $3,275, and our inventory is badly depleted. So if you know of a boat that’s not being used, please encourage the owner to donate it to the Fishing Club.

  3. A reminder about fishing licenses: to fish in our lakes you need both a Connestee license and a NC license. The Connestee licenses are available in the Admin office, and state licenses are available on line (ncwildlife.org) or at Walmart. And at age 65 you are eligible for a lifetime NC license for a one time fee of $25.

  4. And check out our website for a variety of information on Outreach, fishing tips, news & upcoming events, and an interesting history of the Club’s development over 38 years (prepared by Ray Tuers).

Fish Fry – Steve Seelinger

  1. This year’s Fish Fry is scheduled for Friday, July 20th, and Steve is co-chairing the event with Kevin Henebry. Steve reminded Club members that this is the single best attended social event in Connestee, and tickets will go quickly. So keep an eye out for future ticket sales announcements.
  2. Steve also reiterated the need for Fish Fry volunteers for set up, food preparation, and serving.

Outreach – Nick Revill:

  1. Nick reported that Outreach hosted its first event of the season on April 27th, with 12 young folks from Black Mountain Home. Fishing was very successful, with one angler pulling in a 20 1/2” trout. And this was the first group to receive the new hats.
  2. We have a total of 19 Outreach events scheduled so far for this season, and we may be adding a cub scout group.
  3. Several new “high quality” reels are being evaluated, in our efforts to reduce the maintenance and problems with current reels.
  4. Ray Tuers will be announcing upcoming Outreach events on a regular basis in the Friday Flyer. If you would like to help out, or just observe the fun, stop by at any of our upcoming events. A complete schedule of Outreach events is posted on our website under the “Outreach” heading.

Fishery Management Update – Jim Ungaro:

  1. Surface water temperatures are in the low 70’s, and dissolved oxygen levels are still acceptable. Trout are still on/near the surface, and the bass are becoming active.
  2. The stocking of Threadfin Shad as forage fish continues to be delayed, with June now the likely time frame. Jim noted that the Club will be spending $6,200 for this stocking. Jim also mentioned that CFPOA has budgeted approx $11,000 for 3 stockings of full sized trout.
  3. The placement of Christmas trees in Lake Wanteska (for fish hides) has been deferred until next year, due to Spencer’s crew being so busy with the Clubhouse renovations.
  4. Ray Tuers mentioned that 2 improvements have been made to the Family Dock in Atagahi Park. A ramp has been added from the bank and along the side of the dock to facilitate landing of fish. And an opening has been provided in the railing at the end of the dock so a fish doesn’t have to be lifted over the railing.

Lunkers & Tagged Fish – Ray Tuers:

None reported this month

Our next monthly meeting:

Thursday, June 21st, starting at 9:00 AM in the Atagahi Park pavilion.

Adjourn to the meeting program and Tube Steak lunch – introduction by Jim Bailey:

Following the business meeting, we enjoyed our first ever Boat Show followed by an excellent Hot Dog lunch. Thank you to the 5 Club members who brought along their boats to show:

    • John Kratt – his homemade Cajun Pirogue flat bottom canoe
    • Ron Phillips – his 17 ½’ aluminum bass boat
    • Bill Roehrich – a custom made small fishing pontoon boat (belonging to Ron Silverman) and his recently completed Bass Tender style fishing boat.
    • Jim Bailey – a recently updated and reconditioned Sylvan Mirage pontoon boat.

5/19/2018

Al Byrne


 

Club Meeting Minutes – 4/19/2018

Call to order was made by Jim Bailey with 38 members and guests in attendance

The Pledge was led by Jim Bailey

Jim Bailey welcomed 8 guests to the meeting: John Waller, Bruce Schumacher, Jeff Peters, Graham Smith, John Kratt, Rick Clark, Kathy & Mike ?

50/50 Raffle:

Katherine Somalefski held the winning ticket and received $35 from the total ticket receipts of $70.

President’s report and announcements – Jim Bailey (for George Hewertson):

  1. The minutes from the last Club meeting were approved. These minutes are available on the Club’s website under the heading “News & Events”.
  2. Our May Club meeting will be held on Saturday, May 19th, at Atagahi Park. The meeting will feature our famous “tube steak” lunch and, new this year, a boat show.
  3. Jim reviewed the agenda for today’s meeting and the program to be presented by Patrick Weaver following the meeting.
  4. Jim also spent some time talking about the needs of the Brevard HS Fishing Team and our Club’s efforts to support them. And thanks to those who brought fishing tackle donations with them today. If you have additional donations, please call Bill Roehrich (828-884-6642) or Jim Bailey (828-877-2100).
  5. For our June meeting program, we are planning to have Chad Quinn, who does an excellent presentation on his custom built kayaks. Chad’s business is called Bear Traditional Kayaks, located in Brevard across from Dugan’s.
  6. And we are planning a fishing tournament for the Fall. Proceeds will help support the Brevard HS Fishing Team.

Sunshine Report – Marian Wolf:

Good news from Marian……no sympathy or get-well cards sent this month.

Fish Fry – Steve Seelinger

  1. This year’s Fish Fry is scheduled for Friday, July 20, and Steve will be leading the event again this year. The Fish Fry is the largest and best attended of all the Connestee Club events.
  2. Steve announced that Kevin Henebry has agreed to co-chair the event with Steve.
  3. Steve reiterated the need for Fish Fry volunteers and passed around a sign-up sheet.

Treasurer’s report – Jim Ungaro:

  1. To date we are ahead of budget, with an account balance of $10,500.
  2. Jim reminded us that it’s time to renew our Club memberships, which expire at the end of this month.
  3. And Jim will be delivering a $190 check to Sharon Jenkins for the Employees Fund. This is ½ of the proceeds from the recent sale by the Club of a Gheenoe square-back canoe. The Gheenoe was found abandoned several years ago, and we had told Spencer that if he gave it to the Club, we would donate ½ the proceeds back to the Employees Fund. (Note: our Club’s regular, annual donation to the Employees Fund will be made later in the year).

Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:

  1. Al reported that Ray Tuers has updated the Club History document which he originally prepared a number of years ago. The updated document, which recounts the Club’s development from its inception in 1980 to the present, is posted on the Club’s website under the heading “About Us”.

  2. Al announced that the proposed amendment to the CFPOA Water Safety rules was approved by the CFPOA Board on March 28th. The amendment adds a 5 MPH / “no wake” speed limit for motorized craft on our lakes.

  3. Club memberships for the 2018/2019 season are at 128, about the same as this time last year. However, we have gotten very few new members. So, as you meet new Connestee residents, please encourage them to join.

  4. Boat sales to date are $2,975, well ahead of our budgeted amount of $1,800. This is primarily due to the windfall donation from the Peacocks of a pontoon boat & trailer, which we recently sold. This additional revenue should allow us to replace our current Outreach trailer, which is not well suited for storing & transporting all our Outreach equipment.

  5. Al also mentioned that we need a couple of volunteers to help with our Boat Sales program to pick up, clean/repair, and deliver boats. If you can help, drop Al an email (abyrne146@gmail.com).

Outreach – Nick Revill:

  1. Nick reported that Outreach did 18 half day fishing events last season, with a total of 330 participants. A schedule of this year’s events is posted on our website calendar and will be updated as more are planned. Our next event is on 4/27 with Black Mountain Home.
  2. Two new members have been added to the Outreach Advisory committee: SRO (School Resource Officer) Desiree’ Abram and Connestee resident Jeff Brewer. With Emily Taylor (B&G Club) already on the Advisory committee, we now have 2 members from outside Connestee.
  3. We will be providing specially designed hats to this year’s participants. (Nick passed around a sample). These hats will also be made available for sale to Club Members for $20 ea. We will not be re-ordering t-shirts, but we will use existing stocks for those who haven’t been given shirts in the past.
  4. We plan to purchase ponchos and additional mylar blankets this year for inclement weather.
  5. Several spin-cast reels have been ordered for evaluation, in our efforts to reduce the maintenance and problems with current reels.
  6. We will be emphasizing the reduction of lead shot use in our Connestee lakes.
  7. We need more Outreach event volunteers! You don’t need to be a fisherman to help. We have a broad range of help needs. Contact Nick (email: fpolisher@aol.com) if you can help out.
  8. We are reaching out to find additional Cub Scout groups to participate. If you can help us with this, please contact Nick (email: fpolisher@aol.com).

Fishery Management Update – Rick Hybil:

  1. Rick reported that now is some of the best trout fishing. And you don’t need a boat. Water temperatures are running at about 59 deg on the surface, with recent stockings in November, January, and March. The bass are not yet very active. When the lake temperatures move into the 60s and we approach the spawn, they will become more active.
  2. The stocking of Threadfin Shad as forage fish in all 4 lakes has been delayed due to the cold temperatures. We still plan to stock approx 48,000 Threadfin Shad, but it will likely be delayed until May or June.

Lunkers & Tagged Fish – Ray Tuers:

  1. The first (blue) tagged fish of the year was caught in Lake Tiaroga on March 24th. Those catching a tagged fish receive a $50 gift certificate for Clubhouse dining.
  2. On April 1st, Ron Silverman caught a 23”, 6 lb lunker trout on Lake Ticoa using an imitation cawfish.

Fishing Competition Planned – Jim Bailey:

  1. We are planning a fishing competition for this Fall, with Bill Roehrich, Ron Silverman, Jim Bailey, and Steve Seelinger organizing the event.
  2. Proceeds will help support the Brevard HS Fishing team.

General Comments/Questions:

  1. Janet Schreiber reminded the group of the Pisgah TU Fly Fishing School scheduled for 4/28. The cost is $150 for a full day of instruction and ½ day on the water with a personal guide. Contact Janet if interested.
  2. Chris Wunder asked us to watch for the Connestee Chronicle article on the Fishing Club, which will be published this week.
  3. Jim Bailey encouraged Club members to think of their cool/amusing fishing stories and share at the Club meetings.

Our next monthly meeting:

Saturday, May19th, starting at 10:00 AM, Atagahi Park……Hot Dog lunch and boat show.

Adjourn to the meeting program:

Following the business meeting, we heard an excellent presentation from Patrick Weaver on the activities of the Pisgah Wildlife Center.

  • The Pisgah Wildlife Center is an educational component of the NC Wildlife Commission. They provide classes for adults & school groups, exhibits, and manage the fish hatchery.
  • Patrick also provided a very interesting history of the development of the Davidson River corridor.

4/19/2018

Al Byrne


 

Club Meeting Minutes – 3/15/2018 – Clubhouse Lounge

Call to order was made by George Hewertson with 25 members and guests in attendance

The Pledge was led by Sonny Somelofski

George welcomed 2 guests to the meeting: Bart Wailes & Dianne Alder-Wailes

50/50 Raffle:

Ken Franzen held the winning ticket and contributed his winnings back to the Club. Total proceeds were $40.

President’s report and announcements – George Hewertson:

  1. The minutes from the last Club meeting were approved.
  2. George reviewed the agenda for today’s meeting and the program to be presented by Kevin Howell following the meeting.
  3. Due to the Clubhouse renovations, next month’s Club meeting location has yet to be determined. And for the May meeting, we will move to Atagahi Park for our annual Hot Dog lunch and, new this year, a boat show.
  4. Janet Schreiber described the Pisgah TU Fly Fishing School and made available handouts on the program. Additional information and registration is available on the website pisgahTU.org/FlyFishingSchool.

Sunshine Report – Marian Wolf:

Marian reported that a card was sent to Ray Tuers in remembrance of his wife Sharyn.

Fish Fry – Steve Seelinger

  1. This year’s Fish Fry is scheduled for Friday, July 20, and Steve has offered to lead the event again this year.
  2. Steve mentioned the need for Fish Fry volunteers and past around a sign-up sheet. Steve plans to pass the sign-up sheet around at each Club meeting prior to the Fish Fry.

Treasurer’s report – George Hewertson for Jim Ungaro:

We have a healthy balance in our Club account, which will be needed to fund stocking and other activities until our revenue stream starts to build later in the year.

Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:

  1. Al reported that Ray Tuers has updated the Club History document which he originally prepared a number of years ago. The updated document, which recounts the Club’s development from its inception in 1980 to the present, will be posted on the Club’s website under the heading “About Us”.

  2. Al reviewed the reasoning behind the proposed CFPOA rules change which adds a speed limit for motorized craft on our lakes. Voting will take place at the upcoming CFPOA Board meeting on Wednesday, March 28th, 3PM.

  3. Al reminded Club members that memberships expire April 30th, and memberships can be renewed on our website. There is also a survey on the membership form asking members to about their recent fishing experiences.

  4. Boats and other equipment for sale by the Club are listed on our website, with photos and pricing. And if you know of friends or neighbors who might have a small boat/canoe/kayak they don’t use, suggest they donate it to the Club.

Outreach – Nick Revill:

  1. Nick reported that Outreach did 18 events last season, with a total of 330 participants.
  2. The Outreach Advisory committee needs another member. Contact Nick if interested. We also need another committee member from outside the Connestee community. Emily Taylor, Boys & Girls Club Operations Director, is currently a committee member; and for an additional member we are considering one of the SROs (School Resource Officers).
  3. Ted Migues has again secured a commitment from Carolina Bait for donation of worms, but we also need more artificial lures.
  4. We received a donation of 2 fishing rods from Meredith Kuhn.
  5. 12 Outreach events have been planned for this season so far, and a number of other groups are being considered.
  6. We are continuing to look for a replacement trailer to store & transport all our equipment.
  7. We plan to purchase ponchos and additional mylar blankets this year for inclement weather. And we will continue to give t-shirts to the younger participants, but looking at wrist bands with our logo or some other gifts for the older children.
  8. We need more Outreach event volunteers! Contact Nick (email: fpolisher@aol.com) if you can help out.

Fishery Management Update – Rick Hybil:

  1. Rick reported that all 4 lakes were stocked with a total of 1400 lbs of rainbow trout last week. And 35 of the trout were tagged with this year’s color blue.
  2. Christmas trees (for fish hides) will be placed in Lake Wanteska, likely this week. Approximate locations of previous placements can be viewed on our website under the heading FISHING INFO → Fishing Areas.
  3. In April we plan a forage fish stocking of Threadfin Shad in all 4 lakes.
  4. We have no plans to stock catfish. Fishery Management is focused primarily on sustaining the populations of trout, bass, and brim. There are already “too many mouths to feed’, and stocking additional species would only increase the problem.
  5. Surface water temperatures had increased to 54 deg during the warm spell, but as of yesterday they were back down to 49 deg. The drop probably hasn’t affected trout fishing, but bass fishing has slowed. However, bass fishing is likely to improve as the weather warms again.
  6. Protecting our lakes from invasive species: the Fishery Management committee has prepared a flier with a recommended procedure for cleaning and draining boats and equipment being brought into Connestee from other waters. The fliers are being handed out with fishing licenses and at the guard stations to those coming in with a boat. Current spraying procedures at the Main Gate is also continuing.

Lunkers & Tagged Fish:

None reported this past month.

Fishing Competition Proposal – Larry Host, Steve Seelinger, Bill Roehrich:

  1. We have never had a fishing tournament in the 38 years the Club has been in existence. But there has been a lot of interest lately, so we are looking at possibly having a tournament this Fall.
  2. Bill Roehrich and Ron Silverman will likely organize the event.
  3. The purpose of the event would be to raise money, have fun and promote comradery, and provide fishing instruction.
  4. The contest will cover all 4 lakes, and be a morning event. We could probably get 20-30 boats participating.
  5. Awards will given for the best (largest) 5 total catches.
  6. Entry fees will be required and would be the source of funds for the awards.

Our next monthly meeting:

Thursday, April 19th, starting at 9:00 AM. Location to be determined.

Adjourn to the meeting program:

Following the business meeting, we heard an excellent presentation from Kevin Howell, author, lecturer, fly-fishing instructor & guide, Legends of the Fly Hall of Fame member, and owner of Davidson River Outfitters.

  • Kevin introduced 2 students from Brevard High School, Jacob and Andrew, who are participants in the local chapter of the High School Bass Tour, which Kevin started and continues to very actively support.
  • The objectives of the local chapter are for the students to spend time outdoors on the water, provide comradery, and encourage environmental concern and conservation. The chapter currently has 10 student participants.
  • The many needs of the group include:
    • Any and all tackle and equipment.
    • Local lakes to fish (Connestee), and a boat with an adult to take them out for practice.
    • Boats and captains for practice and competitions on other lakes. (min 16′ boat with combustion engine and liability insurance).
    • Financial support: it costs about $100 per person to sponsor a student for a state event; $300 per person for a national event.

Contact Bill Roehrich or Jim Bailey or for more information on the needs of the group and to offer your help.

3/15/2018

Al Byrne

 


 

Club Meeting Minutes – 2/15/2018

CFFC Meeting Minutes – 9 am February 15th, 2018 in the Lounge

Call to order was made by Jim Ungaro with 24 members and guests in attendance

The Pledge was led by Jim Ungaro

Jim welcomed 2 guests to the meeting: Myron Pstrak and Joe McMurray

50/50 Raffle:

Scott Smith held the winning ticket and collected $18.

President’s report and announcements – Jim Ungaro:

  1. Venues for future Club meetings have not been determined. When the location of the March meeting has been decided, it will be posted on Nextdoor, on our website, and an email will be sent. If we have enough lead time, we may be able to announce in the Friday Flyer.
  2. The program after the meeting will include a video entitled “Bass at the Docks”, which will be followed by a demonstration and discussion by Bill Roehrich.
  3. Jim asked for ideas for future meeting programs. Contact Jim Bailey or any of the other Club officers with your thoughts.

Treasurer’s report – Jim Ungaro:

  1. We ended 2017 with an $8,525 account balance.
  2. Jim reported that electronic voting for the proposed 2018 Club budget was 65 For – 0 Against. A show of hands from attendees that had not previously voted yielded 5 For – 0 Against. The proposed budget was therefore passed with a total vote of 70 For – 0 Against. Details of the 2018 budget are available on the Club’s website under the heading “About Us”.
  3. An audit of the Club’s 2017 finances was completed by James Newman. No issues or concerns were identified.
  4. Matching funds of $7,000 for lake stocking have been approved by CFPOA. This is in addition to the regular CFPOA budget for stocking.

Secretary’s Report – Al Byrne:

  1. Check Nextdoor, the Club’s website, and emails for future meeting venues and program details.

  2. There are no boats for sale posted on our website, but we have recently taken in a couple and expect to get more as we get into the Spring. They will be posted as soon as they are cleaned up & repaired as needed.

Outreach – Nick Revill:

  1. Nick reported that Outreach did 18 events last season, with a total of 320 participants.
  2. Fish catches during the Outreach events improved 67% from last year. The improvement is mostly attributable to the fish feeder and to some extent the “catch & release” program at Atagahi Park.
  3. We plan to purchase ponchos and additional mylar blankets this year for inclement weather. Nick had also planned to purchase some soccer balls, but Jim Rumph offered to donate a couple. Thanks Jim!
  4. The 1st Outreach Advisory Committee meeting will be on 2/22. Nick plans to add another “outside” member, in addition to Emily Taylor (who’s from Boys & Girls Club).
  5. We will have a total of 5 outings planned this season with the Boys & Girls Club. The Outreach event schedule should be completed and posted on our website in a couple of weeks.
  6. We need more Outreach volunteers! Contact Nick (email: fpolisher@aol.com) if you can help out.

Sunshine Report – Frank Wolf:

  1. Frank reported that no cards were sent yet this year. Frank reminded folks to let him or Marian know of any specific needs for cards.
  2. Frank also mentioned that this year’s Special Olympics Polar Plunge was a great success. It was held at Atagahi Park on Feb 3rd in 41 deg water with 28 jumpers. Net proceeds were $13,600, all going to the athletes.

Fishery Management Update – Rick Hybil:

  1. Rick reported that all 4 lakes were stocked with a total of 1400 lbs of trout in mid-January…..in spite of the ice.
  2. Surface water temperatures are increasing, currently in the high 40s. Trout are at the surface now.
  3. The Fish Feeder is being activated 1/day at 4:30pm.
  4. The next trout stocking will be in mid March and will include 35 tagged fish.
  5. In April we expect to stock threadfin shad as forage fish for bass.
  6. There was also a question for Rick about the best way to release trout. Some of the suggestions discussed:
    • use barbless hooks. No treble hooks.
    • no powerbait or worms……they get swallowed.
    • never touch the fish or take out of the water. Release by grabbing the hook shank with pliers or forceps and giving it a quick twist out of the fish’s mouth.

Tagged Fish – Ray Tuers:

  1. No tagged fish have been reported yet this year.
  2. Ray recapped the tagged fish reports for several previous years:
    • 2017 – 10 total reports, 9 with green tags (2017) and 1 with yellow tag (2016).
    • 2016 – 7 total reports, 6 yellow (2016) and 1 red (2015).
    • 2015 – 9 total reports.
  1. Winning Club members receive a $50 gift certificate for Clubhouse dining. Non-members receive a $25 gift certificate for Clubhouse dining and a free 1 year Club membership.

Lunker Report – Bill Roehrich/Al Byrne:

On 1/9 Chris Wunder caught a 24”, 5.5 lb, trout on Lake Ticoa. Chris caught this beauty on a 3” Rapala minnow, using an ultralite rod with 4 lb test line. Chris reported that it took 10 min to land the fish.

Fly Fishing instruction planned – Kevin Henebry:

There are 3 free classes planned with Pisgah Wildlife Center. Kevin is offering Club members first chance to sign up before the classes are opened to the public:

    1. Introduction to Fly Fishing” – March 23rd
    2. Casting” – April 4th (a new class this year)
    3. On the Water” – April 5th (a guided fishing trip on local trout waters)

For more information or to reserve a spot, email Kevin Henebry at jkhenebry@hotmail.com.

Club Membership reminder:

Memberships for the 2017/2018 season expire April 30th. During March you will receive renewal reminders by email and in the Friday Flyer and Nextdoor.

Our next monthly meeting:

Thursday, March 15th, starting at 9:00 AM. Location to be determined.

Adjourn to the meeting program:

Following the business meeting, we watched a film entitled “Bass at the Docks” narrated by Mike Kussro. Following the film, Bill Roehrich gave an excellent presentation on how to fish docks in Connestee. Bill covered various baits, preferred rod & reel, and casting techniques to improve success at catching bass around docks.

 

 

Bill demonstrating “pitching” for bass

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2/15/2018

Al Byrne


 

Club Meeting Minutes – Sept 23, 2017, Atagahi Park

(thanks to Jim Bailey for taking the minutes)

Call to Order – George Hewertson

Pledge

Ted Migues led the club in the Pledge of Allegience

Welcome New Members & Guests – George Hewertson

The Club welcomed Butch Chapel, who is a new member in the club, and welcomed guests Myron Stark, Kevin Mulqueen, Bob Pastorino and Brian Murphy.

50/50 Raffle

Nick Revill conducted the 50/50 raffle in Al Byrne’s absence. Chris Wunder had the winning ticket.

President’s Report – George Hewertson

George explained the Club organization and election process for the four officer positions. Since all four offices only have one candidate, the election results were declared final by proclamation per the Club’s bylaws. The results are:

President: George Hewertson

Vice President: Jim Bailey

Secretary: Al Byrne

Treasurer: Jim Ungaro

George then introduced the new bylaws pertaining to nominations for Club officer positions and nominations from the floor (contact George for an electronic copy to be attached to the minutes) Hard copies of the amendment were available during the meeting and will be posted on the Club’s website for their review. Al Byrne will send out an electronic ballot, and members may also vote in person during the October meeting, at which time the final vote will take place.

Secretary’s Report – George Hewertson

No report was given

Treasurer’s Report – Jim Ungaro

  • Jim began his report by sharing how visitors and newcomers can join the club.
  • The Fishing Club’s 2018 calendar has been provided to CF Administration.
  • CF Administration has announced that the new kid friendly, wheelchair accessible dock for the Lake Atagahi Park has been approved. The dock will cost approximately $4k and the Club will match funds up to $2k. The Club has secured $5k from CF as part of their matching funds program. These monies will be used to enhance forage fish in our lakes.
  • Approximately 600 fishing licenses have been sold this year.
  • Jim is currently working the 2018 budget, which will include monies for community projects. Club member are invited to submit ideas for community projects or enhancements. Examples of past project that the Club has funded include community docks, park benches, and pavilion roofs at Atagahi Park.

Outreach – Nick Revill

  • Nick reported that our outreach program for 2017 is now completed. The Club hosted approximately 270 participants from various organizations in the county and beyond. Nick will be pulling together a report on this year’s activities including analysis on the participation, fish caught, and comparisons to previous years.
  • Carolina Bait, who provided all of the worms at no charge to the Club, supported the Outreach program. Ted Migues was instrumental in getting the bait donated.
  • The Outreach Advisory Board is proud to have one of our external partners (and board member), Emily Taylor of the Boys and Girls Club be recognized with the Maytag Dependable Leader Award. Congratulations to Emily!
  • Sadly, another contributing member of the Advisory Board, Chuck Dietsch passed away after a long illness. Chuck was a key contributor to the Outreach program.
  • The Outreach Advisory Board will be meeting in the near future to review 2017 activities and plan for 2018. Nick and the Board encourages Club members to become involved as we are always looking for new volunteers and ideas. The Outreach program is a very rewarding experience for everyone involved.

Newcomers Brunch – Nick Revell

Nick reported that the Fishing Club had a table at the brunch and we had 4 new members join: Herta Dullin, Mike Hughes, Kathy Delucca and Mike & Becky Brice.

Sunshine Report – Marian Wolf

Frank Wolfe described what the Sunshine Program was about for the benefit of newcomers and guests. Since 2005, Marion Wolfe has sent out over 600 cards! This past month cards were sent to:

  • Dorne Dietsch on the passing of her husband, Chuck.
  • Mike and Maureen Strerinski who are moving to Florida.
  • Amy Pitts, the niece of Nancy Carson, who passed away.

Fishery Management Update – Rick Hybil

Rick Hybil reported that the lake waters are now cooling rapidly with temperatures in the low 70’s at the surface. This is about 10 degrees cooler than when the temperature was at it’s peak a month or so ago. The thermocline is now at about 20-25 ft. Below 25 feet there is very little oxygen present. So, do your trout fishing at around 20 feet deep.

On September 7th, Jim Ungaro, Ron Phillips, George Hewertson, and Rick Hybil stocked our lakes with around 50,000 minnows, mostly in Lake Wanteska which is our “bass enhanced” lake. The cost of the stocking was $3k. The forage fish enhancement program will be expanded into the other lakes in the future. The bass enhancement efforts at Wanteska appear to be working as 4 lunker bass have been caught in the lake this year.

Large trout (14-16”) will be stocked into our lakes later this year.

Tagged Fish – Ray Tuers.

Ray Tuers shared that 35 tagged trout were released into our lakes this year. If a tagged fish is caught, the fisherman will receive a $50 gift certificate to the clubhouse (one award per year).

Two tagged trout were recently caught, bringing our YTD total to 9 trout.

Lee Alaban caught a 19’’ trout in Lake Ticoa, and Chris Brown caught a tagged trout last April in Atagahi. Chris just noticed the tag when he recently pulled the fish out of his freezer.

Lunker Report & Fishing Update – Bill Roehrich

Ron Silverman landed an 8 lb. 24.5” bass in shallow water on Lake Wanteska using a plastic crawdad.

General – George Hewertson

Ed Shearin, who is involved with the Pisgah chapter of Trout Unlimited shared information on TU’s “Trout in the Classroom” program whereby 10 aquariums has been (or will be) placed in area schools to educate students on trout. Students raise trout in the tanks from eggs to fingerlings before releasing the fish into local waters. The program involves extensive study on tank water quality, stream habitat, water resources, conservation, and ecosystem connectivity. For additional information contact Ed at edshearin@gmail.com .

Next Club Meeting – 9 a.m. on Thursday, October 19, Blue Ridge lounge

Adjourn to Meeting Program – introduction by Nick Revill

Nick Revill introduced the Club member Sonny Somelofski who talked about how to best work with fishing guides. Sonny is a licensed guide from New York State.